Tuesday, May 18, 2010

ELK INTERVIEW

One artist you should all be getting familiar with is Canberra stencil artist ELK. For those who have walked into Knightsbridge time and time again admiring the artwork at the entrance of the club and around the bar, well that's the magic work of ELK. His craft is not only being seen in Canberra but all over Australia and parts of the world! Keep an eye out for his up coming exhibitions.



What did you dream of being when you were a kid?
I actually always wanted to be an artist, I never thought it would happen, but here we are. That or a comedian, I don't want to be a comedian anymore.

What are you doing now in your life?
Right now I'm working on my first solo show, it opens at the Front gallery in canberra on the 9th of July, its called "how you like me now, bitch?" I'm also starting to put some work together for a show in Los Angeles in August at the Crewest Gallery. Basically in my life right now I'm just working really hard, you work hard to get where you want to be, and you work twice as hard to stay there, but I love what I'm doing, so its not work really.



What has been the best advice given to you to about surviving the art industry?
Work hard, be nice to people. I believe in karma, nothing goes unrewarded.

Where do you get your inspiration from?
I like to find beauty in things that aren't particularly beautiful, taking something that no one wants to look at and turning it into something that people can't look away from, like a junkie or an abandoned building. I get inspired by challenging myself, trying to make each piece better than the last.



Describe your style to us?
Technically progressive, I make photo-realistic stencil art.

Describe your clothing outfit when you go out?
I don't stray far from hoodies and cargos, so comfortable in these two. Etnies and beanie. Scarf if its cold.



What item of clothing would you like to see brought back?
Hypercolour, hands down, hypercolour (or kuta lines)

Who is a person that has been an inspiration to you?
I can't remember his name, but there's this australian guy living in cambodia, who has dedicated his life to defusing land mines left over from the cambodian war in the 70's. I think he used to be in the australian army or something. Here's a guy that is selflessly using his life to make the world a better place for thousands of other people. True happiness doesn't come with what you have, it comes with what you give away. I try to remember this. I don't draw inspiration from artists or rockstars or sporting "heroes" etc, I'm inspired by people that actually contribute.

Who is the ultimate Spader to you?
I like Ben Frost, he's an australian artist. I don't look up to many people, but this guy is pretty awesome, nice guy too.




ELK

No comments: