Wednesday, October 6, 2010

BRENDAN COLE

The Commonwealth games have just kicked off in Delhi and the Spader team can't wait to see 400m hurdler Brendan Cole tear up the track. He has made the semi finals which kick off on Saturday and go until Tuesday so make sure you turn on the telly and cheer on Brendan along with the rest of the Aussies.



What did you dream of being when you were a kid?
Just like the rest of us, I was a confused kid! Definitely didn't think I'd be an athlete, though! I was kind of the same as I am now - no real idea of what the world holds for me past a year or two. I definitely know the SORT of person I want to be, but I don't think that's got much to do with WHAT I do. I guess I looked forward to being more self assured and 'having my shit together'. All I've learned since then is that no-one else does, so just roll with what's going on right now ;-)

What are you doing now in your life?
My number 1 priority is my athletics. I train between 25-30 hours a week on the track and in the gym. I also work full-time as a soft tissue therapist at the Australian Institute of Sport, which is where I train so it fits in quite well other than the fact that I am there for almost 12 hours a day! I fill in the rest of my time pretty much DJ-ing, listening to music or cooking. I've cut back my DJ gigs leading up to the Commonwealth Games this year, but I absolutely love it and play whenever and wherever I can. House music is my passion :-)



What has been the best advice leading up the Commonwealth Games?
''Trust the belief in yourself.''
I spent a week earlier this year with one of my best friends and Olympic champion Steve Hooker. This was his advice. I'm very self critical and think way too much (especially when I am traveling) and this advice, although hard to actually do a lot of the time, helped me take a big step forward in my confidence this year. It also gives you some ownership and responsibility in your actions. One of my most hated things said to me when things aren't going well is "Oh, you'll be ok. Everything happens for a reason." This has never sat well with me, so I like the idea of instead of placing my hopes and dreams on chance, trusting the belief I have in myself and the results will speak for themselves.

Where do you get your inspiration from?
The amazing people around me. My training partners and coach, who always keep me in check and keep my 'eye on the prize'. My friends, who remind me often enough to not take myself too seriously, and that a good laugh is sometimes better than a meal! Probably most of all my family; constant and unwavering support; lead by example. My brother has been fighting multiple cancers for the past few years with the most phenomenal of results and success. This is due to his inspirational positivity and attitude as well as the love and support around him. My mother has exhibited similar attributes to her rehab from a serious stroke last year which has affected her speech and mobility significantly. Her work with my Dad over that period at times makes me feel like I'm doing nothing for training! I get my energy from the people that surround me.



Describe your style to us?
Ummm... hopefully a bit like my personality! Playful, thoughtful, dark at times but with enough colour to bring a smile, unpretentious, interesting, fun! I like things that a different, but not for the sake of going against the grain. Style, I think, should be an extension of your personality - but not be forced or mimicked. Anyone who is completely comfortable in their own clothes and skin has style.

Describe your clothing outfit when you go out?
As I don't get to head out as much as I would like to, and with some of the friends I have, it usually pays to plan for anything when I do. This means that each thing I wear has to be multi-functional...
- Shoes to a) dance, b) get into a cocktail bar, or c) run away from police
- Jeans/pants to a) dance, b) make my arse look ok (hehe), c) be reasonably easy to get off for mid-night swims or other nude behaviour, and d) shape the rest of my outfit
- Shirt to a) not get too hot if I am dancing, b) get attention, but from the right people, and c) actually fit my body! (there's so many t-shirts out there that aren't made to fit!)
- Jacket to a) keep me warm if needed, b) keep my lady warm (if I had one), c) finish off my outfit with a exclamation point of uniqueness.
- I have been also loving this awesome skinny green leather tie that a friend gave me and I have been wearing lately with a grey waistcoat. It may sound cheesy, but it's freakin awesome ;-)



What item of clothing would you like to see brought back?

Skinny green leather ties.

Who is a person that has been an inspiration to you?
Everyone in question 4. And Armand Van Helden. He is my fav and one of, if not the most prominent house producer of the past 20 years, but the guy has kept his birth name as a DJ. Kudus, my amazingly talented friend. Kudos.

Who is the ultimate Spader to you?
My mate Adam Miller. For too many reasons and too many stories to go with them.

No comments: