Wednesday, February 16, 2011

DERICK MATOS

We caught up with one of the best barbers from the Bay Area, Derick Matos as we found out what inspires him to cut hair.



What did you dream of being when you were a kid?
I dreamed of being a song writer and actor. As a matter of fact till this day I have books and books of songs, and character outlines.

What are you doing now in your life?
I am a Barber/ fashion consultant

What has been the best advice given to you to about surviving the barber scene?
Be consistent! Be on time, and defiantly be professional. Clients want to know that when they get in that chair they know what to expect. Most of my clients don't even want to see the mirror when im done. Punctuality is key .People are busy and there schedules are too. My clients know that if I tell them to come in at 9am im there at 830. I respect there schedule. Professionalism is key. There are too many (Funny) barbers out there that give the trade a bad name hence the stigma associated with Barbershops. I make it my business to do everything to prove those stereotypes wrong. Anybody can come into our establishment and get any style of cut they want from old to new from women, children to the elderly .Everyone is welcome and everyone is made to feel comfortable. Most cant wait to come back.



Where do you get your inspiration from?
I would have to say I get my inspiration from my environment. All the things around me. I travel a lot and can often have a conversation or simply see something that triggers creativity.

Describe your style to us?
My style is defiantly its own. I like to see whats going on then build off of it. Ive tagged myself against the grain trendsetter. The funny thing is that recognizing a future trend too early may cause people to think ur off. Then 3 to 6 months later they understand what you were doing. I can easily go from a hoodie and ballcap to the rite jean and vintage tee, to a tailored Italian suit. I love throwing people off and seeing the expression when they see me in a ballcap early in the day then later that evening ,cut shaven and suited.

Describe your clothing outfit when you go out?
Again that would be determined by the occasion. I was always told its better to be overdressed then underdressed.



What item of clothing would you like to see brought back?
I cant think of just one item. I would love to see everyone actually care about fixing themselves up. 1920 style suited and fidoras. Now that's clean.

Who is a person that has been an inspiration to you?
Most defiantly my dad. Here is a guy that grew up piss poor in a 2 bedroom apartment with 9 siblings. Started his own business, Worked hard everyday and never looked back! Moms no slouch either she did the same. Everyday I way up I strive to succeed. They are my motivation. I cant stand when people complain or make excuses. Get up, Get out, and Get something.

Who is the ultimate Spader to you?
Besides me.....lol its got to be James Rush I mean seriously who is a bigger spader than that guy

SPADER CLOTHING

No comments: