Monday, July 6, 2009

ENTER CAFE

One thing we love doing is to feature local Spaders from Canberra who are following there dreams and making major moves in there field. About 12 months ago Jarrod Deaton opened up his own Cafe in the city (on Marcus Clark Street) called Enter Cafe. We sat down with Jarrod while sipping on some of his delicious coffee as we found out the ins and outs of the hospitality industry.



What did you dream of being when you were a kid?
My dreams changed with the wind as a kid. I grew up on a farm in a country town and had access to just about anything life had to offer. I dreamt of being anything from a professional Waterskier, Motocross Rider or Snowboarder to a Photographer or Landscape Architect. Somewhere in my teens I figured out that I just wanted to be in business, be successful and have the freedom to spend my time doing the things I wanted to do whether that be work or play.

What are you doing now in your life?
I graduated with a Degree in Landscape Architecture and I'm now running my own cafe in the city called enter. It’s over on Marcus Clarke Street in the Canberra House building. A cool little place that looks out onto the park area in Hobart Place. We're all about delivering quality products and coffee is something we take it a little more seriously than most. It’s been ten months now and the place is pumping. It’s a good feeling.



What has been the best advice given to you to about surviving in the hospitality industry?
To survive and become successful in any industry I'd say you need to focus on all areas of you're life because each affects the other. Some of the best advice I've received is - Simple is best. Be consistent. A great team is key - treat them well. Surround yourself with good people. Observe, listen and learn from other successful people.
Sometimes the hardest part of all its just figuring out exactly what you want so you can plan how to get it. Do that and believe you can get it and you're halfway there.

Where do you get your fashion inspiration from?
From the styles of friends and people that I admire.



Describe your style to us?
It’s a bit of a combination and it all depends on where I'm going and what I'm doing. Mainly it's a little European I guess. I like their jackets, jeans and shoes but I combine them with relaxed aussie outfits like simple tees, shorts and boardies.

Describe your outfit when you go out?
I'm always in jeans and I love a good shirt. Roll up the sleeves a little to make it more relaxed, add some nice shoes and accessories throw on a jacket and scarf for winter and I'm out the door..

What item of clothing would you like to see brought back?
Umm.. I have everything I need!

Who is a person that has been an inspiration to you?
Anyone that is doing their own thing and doing it well.. I love to hear stories of mates just getting it done. My friends inspire me as well as a few oldies and a couple of people kicking butt in business today that I always like to read about.

Who is the ultimate Spader to you?
You Rush. You!

ENTER CAFE

No comments: