Saturday, July 11, 2009

TOM HALL

Tom Hall is a media artist based in Brisbane, Australia. His eclectic works flourish by utilising a variety of mediums, each that reflect on his varied background and interests. With a strong focus on elements of the 'everyday' Hall's practice involves considered explorations into place, space and time. Drawing inspiration from countless 'peripheral' spaces, Hall focuses on using multiple approaches to engage and recontextualise them to the public.



What did you dream of being when you were a kid?
If I'm completely honest, I didn't really dream of being 'something'. If at all I kind of remember wanting to be a race car driver but then my teenage years are more memorable and they started being influenced by popular culture etc. In saying all of that, I did dream a lot and loved every minute of it, nothing was unimaginable nor unattainable with enough persistence.

What are you doing now in your life?

These days I work full-time as an artist. My practice is made up of a variety of elements that include playing live solo presenting audio/visual based installations and in bands AXXONN and Secret Birds. In addition to these I exhibit installation based works regularly release material on CD, generally most of my work is audio/visual based. My practice also includes a lot of travel both nationally and internationally.

What has been the best advice given to you to about surviving in the art industry?
The best bit of advice is 'be true to yourself and go for it' and the end of the day there's no real 'How to ....' manual for this career so basically it's all or nothing.



Where do you get your fashion inspiration from?
I think I spent a lot of years suppressed fashionably, influenced by peers and subconsciously following trends. It was good friends Sasha and Trevelyan who made me think a little bit more about how things coordinated, not directly but in a number of ways mostly through art and creative development. Although these days on first appearances people might think I don't give too much attention to it but actually it's quite the opposite. From which shoes I wear, to which t-shirt it's always considered.

Describe your style to us?
My style is generally neat but casual, co-ordinated and sometimes including a vintage 80's metal t-shirt, shirt or hoodie. Although I'm quite fond of the press button cowboy shirt if I want to step it up, black leather Converse or Lacoste shoes and sometimes Birkenstocks. Quite often in my practice I can step up to formal opening with a collar or back to casual with a t-shirt quite easily, I can't travel with too many clothes unfortunately due to luggage restrictions.

Describe your outfit when you go out?
I'm generally at openings or gigs, catching planes or playing, there really isn't much else. I try to wear a t-shirt that might suit the occasion - generally a metal shirt or something I've grabbed from Japan. Neat skinny leg or normal jeans, either black or dark wash. I do have a suit and am quite fond of wearing it although the opportunity doesn't come round often.



What item of clothing would you like to see brought back?
More 80's hi-tops, really they can never revive them enough, LA Gear, Reeboks, Nike, Cons, Aerosport - they were just so tough. Clothing wise there were some really good t-shirt cuts back then, can't remember any particular brands but some of them were along the lines of the old style Bonds t-shirts.

Who is a person that has been an inspiration to you?
My biggest inspiration is not one person but a number of people, I have some amazing good friends here in Brisbane who are very encouraging and provide me with reliable honest feedback, feedback I can grow from. My parents are also inspiring through the relentless encouragement they give me, really without these people I could not do what I'm doing, it's not the most stable career in the World but with them behind me no goal is too big.

Who is the ultimate Spader to you?
Wow this is a tough one - I think I have a whole bunch of people around me here is Brisbane that are epic Spaders, not consciously but seriously they're ruling it with an iron fist, it wouldn't be Spader like for me to single one out.

Tom Hall - Live A/V Performance @ Super Deluxe, Tokyo Japan from Tom Hall on Vimeo.




TOM HALL

No comments: